How does storage affect the taste of pepper?
Fully loaded cargo ships sailing for months at sea carry sisal bags, which are often stored in damp and not very clean environments. The contents of these sacks are often pepper, which is the most traded spice in the world. Pepper on ships gradually becomes stale, mouldy and reaches customers in a state that certainly does not make it a delicate spice. And we are not talking about a long chain of companies and resellers who pass on pepper and store it in unsuitable conditions. Who would want to get delicious Kampot pepper fresh off the stalk and straight onto their plate and avoid this cycle? ☺
In the name of preserving quality
The taste of Kampot pepper is not only determined by the location from which it comes, but also by the way it is processed. Not every Kampot pepper is of the same quality, which to some extent also influences the way it is handled after harvesting.
At .pepper..field, we strive to get the pepper to your table as quickly as possible and in absolutely top quality. This is where we differ fundamentally from large pepper farms and other distributors.
- In Cambodia, we immediately vacuum the pepper on our Czech machines, which we have purchased for small farming families thanks to the Czech Development Agency. They are often helped with the vacuuming by the KPPA president himself.
- The carefully packed 1kg bags are flattened into cardboard boxes of max 10 pieces so that they are not damaged by the pressure
- We fly by plane. It's extremely expensive, but unlike our competitors, here we have pepper within a few days of collection, quickly, safely and most importantly without the risk of contamination on the water
- Immediately upon arrival in the Czech Republic, we put the pepper on a Czech sortex - this is a precision machine with laser optical mechanics that ensures that instead of 98% purity, we achieve a perfect 100% purity. We don't know anyone in the world who is this precise and uses similar machines.
- We then immediately pack the pepper into our Czech packaging - honestly, by hand!
- And then it's up to you - we explain on every package how to keep the Kampot pepper dry, cool, dark and to close the tube and bag. That way, it will stay wonderfully fresh and delicious for up to 3 years and still taste just like you just bought it from one of our families in Cambodia!
"Extremely unique product with a great drive behind them. Awesome product and customer service. Perfect for a gift to impress your in-laws, boss or clients."
"First time I tasted Kampot pepper on our vacation in Cambodia, it was phenomenal! I am ordering the Kampot pepper from Amazon ever since. Now when I have an option to order from the smallest farmers, I can have great feeling whenever I open the pack as a bonus to the best taste."
"Got the pepper, it is very unique. I found it had more flavor and the aroma was wonderful. The pepper came in a small well sealed package. The ground pepper was a little spicier than regular black pepper, but not too spicy. I think it was most likely just fresher and delivered in better condition."